The Arts Desk Radio Show 10 | reviews, news & interviews
The Arts Desk Radio Show 10
The Arts Desk Radio Show 10
Peter and Joe bring you sunshine (also Amazon surf, country-soul and acid house)
Quite possibly because the sun was shining, even if it wasn’t actually warm as such, this show presented by Joe Muggs and Peter Culshaw got its groove on. There was shuffling about the NTS studio, strangers started dancing. The featured albums, by which we mean more than one track were played were the new one from Bachar Mar Khalifé, who is clearly a major talent, the debut from Los Chinches, a Peruvian Amazon surf band, who started and closed the show and an irresistible new compilation of Latin Psychedelia.
The sunny mood kept going through acid house and Forro, Kenyan 45s from the 1970s and only went a bit gloomy for Karl Hyde and Olafur Arnalds and we went on a country detour with My Darling Clementine. A trio of classics from Bobbie Gentry, Malcolm McLaren and Four Tet were played because they seemed to fit at the time.
Stream the show here, or download for later:
1. Los Chinches “La Serpeinte Negra” (Moviemientos)
2. Shuggie Otis “Walking Down The Country” (Epic / Legacy)
3. Frankie Dante and Orch Flamboyan “Dame Un Tipi” (Rough Guides)
4. Kams “Bump It” (unreleased)
5. Forro in the Dark (feat David Byrne) “Asa Branca”
6. Malcolm McLaren “Double Dutch” (EMI)
7. Portico Quartet “Laker Boo” (DVA Remix) (Real World)
8. Four Tet “As Serious As Your Life” (Domino)
9. Joe Cuba Sextet “Psychedelic Baby” (Rough Guides)
10. Mark Ernestus presents Jeri-Jeri with Mbene Diatta Seck - "Sama Yaye" (Ndagga)
11. Bassekou Kouyate “Jama Ko” (Out There)
12. Space Dimension Controller “Quadraskank Interlude” (R&S)
13. Karl Hyde “Cut Clouds” (Universal)
14. Olufur Arnalds “Sudden Throw” (Mercury)
15. Bachar Mar Khalifé “Machis Choses” (Infiné)
16. Stephen Godmana “Lunatic Fringe” (Macro)
17. Frigg “Vieriva” (Frigg Ltd)
18 .The Experimental Tropic Blues Band “Keep This Love” (JauneOrange)
19. My Darling Clementine “I Bought Some Roses” (DrumFire)
20. Bobbie Gentry “Fancy” (EMI)
21. Kyle Eastwood “Sirocco” (Jazz Village)
22. Brandt Bramar Frick “Broken Pieces” (!K7)
23. Orchestre Super Mazemba “Amira” (Sterns)
24. Bachar Mar Khalifé “Mirror Moon” (Infiné)
Subscribe to theartsdesk.com
Thank you for continuing to read our work on theartsdesk.com. For unlimited access to every article in its entirety, including our archive of more than 10,000 pieces, we're asking for £2.95 per month or £25 per year. We feel it's a very good deal, and hope you do too.
To take an annual subscription now simply click here.
And if you're looking for that extra gift for a friend or family member, why not treat them to a theartsdesk.com gift subscription?