ENTER THE ARTS DESK'S YOUNG REVIEWER OF THE YEAR AWARD A new competition to find a brilliant young critic
The Hospital Club’s annual h.Club100 awards celebrate the most influential and innovative people working in the UK’s creative industries, with nominations from the worlds of film and fashion, art, advertising, theatre, music, television and more. This year they are teaming up with theartsdesk.com – the home of online arts journalism in the UK – to add a brand new award to the line-up.
The Young Reviewer Award is aimed at bold, thoughtful young writers aged 18-30 who are serious about a career in arts journalism. It will be presented to the author of the best review of any art-form that we feature on theartsdesk.com: television, theatre, film, gaming, comedy, visual art, opera, classical, new music, dance or books.
We want to read reviews that make us think – provocative, entertaining writing that gets under the skin of the art it addresses, that dares to ask uncomfortable questions and offer new answers. We’re looking for a review we wish we’d written ourselves. Surprise us, shock us, enrage us.
Theartsdesk.com has a history of providing a platform for talented young writers. Our contributors have gone on to editorial and journalistic roles at the Telegraph, Spectator, New Statesman, BroadwayWorld.com, Hearst Digital and The List. In addition to winning a trophy, and a year’s membership of The Hospital Club in Covent Garden, Central London, the winner of the Young Reviewer Award will also have the opportunity to contribute to the website and join our established team of professional writers.
Reviews should be of a recent production, performance or release. Reviews should be 500 words long. They can be either freshly written or previously featured on your own blog or site.
- Entrants must be aged between 18 and 30 on 3 October, 2017 (the date the winner is announced).
- The competition opens on 15 July and closes on 15 August.
- Submissions, marked “TAD Young Reviewer Award”, should be sent to email@example.com.
- Entrants must submit one review of no more than 500 words of a performance, release or exhibition of any art-form featured on theartsdesk.com. You may not enter more than once.
- Entrants will win a year’s membership of The Hospital Club, and the opportunity to contribute to theartsdesk.com.